Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Reader Interviews: Mariana Arias on Cry No More by Linda Howard

It's Tuesday and time for a reader interview - focusing on books readers of this blog consider absolute keepers. If you'd like to participate, you can find all the details here.

Also, if you'd like to read previous interviews, click on the Reader Interviews Part Deux tag at the bottom of this post.

Today's interviewee is Mariana Arias!

~

Mariana Arias on Linda Howard's Cry No More

a) What's the book about?

Milla Edge and her doctor husband are now living in Mexico where he is posted. She is a first time mother that truly loves her child. On her way to the market she is attacked and her child vanishes.

This is a story about a mother's fight to make sense of a gigantic loss; her struggle to find her son at the cost of everything. Milla becomes obsessed with finding what happened to her son. She founds a company, Finders, that reunites lost ones with their family; to help those in her same circumstance. In her search, she receives a line that may lead to her son. In her investigation she meets dangerous and silent Diaz. Will he help or hinder?

It is the story of determination and a mother's true love.

b) What do you love most about this story?

I love this story because I can understand the need to ensure a child's safety no matter the cost. I love that Milla is strong and determined. I love that Diaz loves her as she is and still can underestimate what her son's well being means to her. I love that I can still read this story and be moved by it.

c) How many times have you read this book?

I have bought this book in all it's formats and have read every format multiple times; don't know the count though.

d) Who would you recommend it to?

I recommend this book to everyone; those I know and those I see in book stores :)

e) Anything else you want to add?

I asked a friend to read this and she said she doesn't like books where children are harmed or exploited. There are many that feel the same, and I get that. But I feel this books is beyond that. Love is central in this book, between the characters themselves; and I feel between the writer and the characters.

6 comments :

e_booklover said...

I almost didn't read this book because the subject matter hit too close to home. Then after I kept seeing it right in front of me everytime I entered a bookstore I gave in. I think it is now one of my favorite books by Linda Howard because it touches on a grim reality that is interwoven with threads of hope and a drive to bring an end to that reality.

Anonymous said...

I love this book, I cried when I read it and very few books make me cry.

Anonymous said...

This is one of *the* most powerful, heart wrenching books that I have ever read. It gripped me on every page - desperate to see what happened next. And yes, I blubbed too!

I have never re-read it though - just too emotional.

Mariana said...

The ending of that book was so hopeful. I often wonder what the child's story would be. I think it would be awesome if LH wrote that book.

Anonymous said...

I picked this book up earlier this year and just devoured it. Then I went straight out a bought a copy...

There are a large number of very raw scenes in Cry No More...scenes that rip you open, but at the same time re-affirm your belief in love and hope.

Yvonne Lindsay said...

This was an amazingly powerful and emotional book to read. I know I wept buckets while turning the pages. And yes, I agree with you all about faith and love and hope being so incredibly important. I haven't reread it yet, but at present I'm enjoying re-reading several of my long time favourites, this may move it up the list!